35 x 28 cm art print of Edinburgh Old and New by David Octavius Hill from the National Galleries of Scotland Collection.
This view of Edinburgh was based on photographs Hill made in 1846 and many of the figure groups were also inspired by the camera. The vantage point is from the Edinburgh Castle, looking east, down the Royal Mile. The New Town is on the left. The Royal Scottish Academy is the classical building at the foot of The Mound, and the empty site beside it was where the foundations of the National Gallery of Scotland were laid in 1850.
David Octavius Hill (20 May 1802 – 17 May 1870) was a Scottish painter and arts activist. He formed Hill & Adamson studio with the engineer and photographer Robert Adamson between 1843 and 1847 to pioneer many aspects of photography in Scotland.